River Trade Cruise
Real Estate Cruise
Cruise ‘The Goolwa’ and discover one of South Australia’s oldest towns.
Goolwa is the boating gateway to the vast inland waterways (over 6,500km’s of rivers) of the Murray-Darling Basin and the birthplace of the paddle-steamer river trade. With Australia’s first public railway (the first government railway of the entire British Empire in fact) the South Coast was a major national & international transport hub, with Goolwa the spark for development of the Fleurieu Peninsula including Middleton, Port Elliot & Victor Harbor as well as many upstream river towns & regions. With the river trade providing access to huge areas (14%) of inland Australia ideal for agriculture, Goolwa played a major role in the multi-cultural settlement of Australia across the province of SA and the colonies of VIC & NSW (now also QLD).
Conveniently located just over an hour’s drive from Adelaide,
boating in safe & protected inland freshwater, discover:
• the rich history of Goolwa, including viewing local shipwrecks;
• the reasons for the growth & decline of the paddle-steamers & the river trade;
• the unique geography & environment of the Goolwa Channel & the Lower Lakes;
• the complexities & politics of water allocation across Australia;
• the spectacular boats & waterfront lifestyle associated with property
on the Goolwa Channel or in the Coorong Quays Marina on Hindmarsh Island;
• the enjoyment of just wetting a line fishing in the freshwaters of the Murray River.